10 Best Project Scheduling Software
How much time do you spend managing your projects? Is it enough? Do you have a plan for how to use your time the best way possible?
Most people don’t. They try to manage their projects as they go. This is inefficient and ineffective. Planning ahead is the key to success when it comes to completing projects on time and under budget. The secret lies in a tool called project scheduling software. Project scheduling software does more than just schedule tasks. It also helps you stay organized, keep track of deadlines, and collaborate with team members effectively from anywhere. You can even integrate project management tools like CRM or email marketing platforms. This keeps all of your data connected and up-to-date to make your project management life much easier.
This article will discuss the top 10 best project scheduling software for businesses. Whether you're a business owner, manager or employee, you'll want to read this!
Here’s What We’ll Cover:
What Does Project Scheduling Software Do?
A project scheduling tool combines project management and time management into one convenient tool. This allows you to manage your task list, assign them to employees or team members, create deadlines for each task, keep track of who is responsible for what tasks, and put all the data into a timeline that lets you see exactly how long it will take to complete certain milestones.
Project scheduling software also allows you to collaborate with your project teams, create reports and track time. Plus, it sends reminders to each person who is responsible for completing a task. This makes it easier for everyone to know exactly what they need to do. It also helps keep deadlines top of mind.
Project scheduling can be used for any kind of project. They run the gamut from construction, to office work, to marketing and much more. It can even be used in everyday life, such as grocery lists and shopping lists. Once you set up your task list, you'll probably get more done than ever before.
How to Use Project Scheduling Software Most Effectively
The most effective way to use project scheduling software is to break down your tasks into smaller subtasks that can be completed quickly. For example, if you want to build a treehouse, you could divide it up into steps. You would then need to find the resources you'll need, order them, and schedule when they should be delivered.
You can also plan when each step will begin and end. This helps you avoid overbooking or wasting time between tasks.
Another tip is to make sure your deadlines are realistic. You want to make it challenging enough to keep you motivated, but not so difficult that you end up missing the deadline completely. By using project scheduling software, you can see exactly how long each task will take and determine if your deadlines are achievable or not.
Understanding the Different Types of Project Scheduling Software
There are three types of project scheduling software: desktop, web-based, and mobile apps. Each has its own advantages and disadvantages that you should consider before choosing one.
Desktop project scheduling software is installed on a computer or laptop that you use at work, home, or elsewhere. Desktop software usually offers the most features and functions. It can help you stay organized while keeping track of deadlines. It also requires you to have access to your computer from any location.
The biggest disadvantage to desktop scheduling software is that your data is not accessible from anywhere but your computer. It also takes up storage space on your hard drive unless you choose a cloud-based program that only stores the data online.
A web-based project scheduling software is hosted on a remote server. It can be accessed from anywhere as long as you have an internet connection. This is great for people who don't want to download anything to their devices and prefer the browser method of accessing files.
The biggest disadvantage to web based scheduling software is that it requires an Internet connection. This can be problematic if you're in an area without WiFi or cellular service.
A mobile app is available on Google Play or the App Store. These apps are formatted for specific devices like iPhone, Android, and Windows phone. Mobile apps allow you to access your task list from anywhere. They're great for people who travel often and need to stay updated with deadlines during their travels.
The biggest disadvantage to mobile scheduling software is that they typically don't offer as many features as desktop or web-based applications. They're not great for detailed tasks and reporting.
Project scheduling software is perfect for businesses of any size. It helps keep your team on track by assigning deadlines, outlining milestones, and providing reminders. Communication becomes easier with transparent project management.
Now that you know more about the software itself, let's discuss the top 10 best scheduling apps and software available today.
Top 10 Best Apps and Software for Project Scheduling
The best project scheduling software for business is time-efficient, easy to use, and reduces stress in getting complex projects done on time. Now you don’t have to worry about forgetting a key task or crossing a deadline with this helpful tool.
Let’s take a look at the top 10 best apps and software for project scheduling.
1. Microsoft Project
Microsoft Project helps you plan, monitor, and control your projects from start to finish. You can manage multiple projects at once and create powerful reports with real-time data. This app is available on Android OS, iOS OS, and Windows OS.
- Helps you easily create and update projects
- Provides the ability to see your whole project in one screen
- Allows you to monitor time spent on tasks
- Some tasks may have a start and end time instead of a duration
- Not great for people who need to share their schedules with their team
2. Trello (iOS, Android)
Trello lets you organize projects into boards where you can add cards to different lists. This project planning app is great for people who prefer simple boards over detailed timelines and reports.
- Super easy to use with a fresh new layout
- Simple list system for quickly organizing tasks
- Great for entire teams
- Can get confusing if you have a lot of projects going
Workday offers an easy-to-use scheduling app for mobile devices, tablets, or laptops that helps you stay on top of all your company's projects. This software is available on Android OS, iOS OS, WebOS, and Windows OS.
- Helps you keep track of long-term projects with the perspective view
- Gives you notifications for upcoming events and deadlines
- Allows easy file sharing with your team members
- You need to purchase licenses for each user depending on your company size
- Not great for short-term tasks that don't need to be shared with
4. Oracle Primavera P6 Professional
Oracle offers industry-leading project management software that helps you manage iterative projects and large portfolios. This app is available on Android OS, iOS OS, Windows OS, and WebOS.
- Tracks time spent on projects for accurate budgeting
- Helps you manage large portfolios with incredible visibility into resource allocation and workloads
- Allows you to control the project schedule by giving permission to change tasks in bulk
- Not great for small business owners who need a free alternative.
5. Microsoft OneNote
Microsoft OneNote helps you plan and manage projects by allowing you to create, organize, and track ideas with your team. You can share files and start discussions for more effective communication. This app is available on Android OS and iOS OS.
- Gives you the ability to prioritize tasks with tags and due dates
- Allows you to organize your project tasks into color-coded categories
- Helps you see what’s coming up with a monthly calendar view
- Must purchase the full version of Microsoft Office if you want to use this app.
6. Mindjet Mindmanager
Mindjet’s Mindmanager helps you get your projects on track with transparent, efficient project workflows. It has an easy-to-use interface and is great for people who like to get things done in stages. This app is available on Android OS and iOS OS.
- Makes task management easy
- Provides several different ways to monitor projects
- Allows you to plan in simple or complex environments, depending on what you need for your project
- Great for project tracking
- Not able to share files with teammates using this app.
Timecamp’s project scheduling software helps you keep track of all your projects and time spent on each. This app is available on Android OS and iOS OS.
- Helps you organize tasks, monitor project budgets, and even plan work in the future
- Allows quick access to information using a customizable dashboard
- Timecamp offers an efficient solution for work time tracking, resource planning, and reporting
- Only available on mobile devices, no access from a computer
This useful project management app helps you and your entire team better collaborate. It can be synced to email and other apps that you use every day. This app is available on both iOS and Android OS.
- You can rely on Huddle to share files and create multiple projects
- Allows you to store project info such as project timelines, budgets, and milestones for easy access
- Gives you the ability to upload photos and video directly into your workspace
- Not the best for organizing ongoing projects where multiple team members are needed
Smartsheet helps you plan and manage projects by allowing you to create, organize, and track ideas with your team. You can share files and start discussions for more effective communication. This app is available on Android OS and iOS OS.
- Allows you to prioritize tasks based on deadline or importance
- Simple and effective
- Tracks time spent on projects for accurate budgeting, but cannot track time spent outside of the software
Wizeline offers project scheduling software that tracks and manages projects, track milestones, and monitor progress. This app is available on both iOS and Android OS.
- Gives you the ability to sync your tasks with Google Calendar
- Provides quick reports so you can share updates with other team members
- Doesn’t have the ability to provide budgetary reports
If you're looking for the best project scheduling software, there are many different options that would be perfect in your business. The most important thing is to find a solution that can help you manage all of your projects with ease and efficiency.
There are three main types of scheduling software and apps. They are mobile, desktop and web based. Any of these options can help you efficiently manage your projects. They each have their pros and cons.
Take the time to research and find the best project scheduling software for you and your business. Read reviews, ask around, and try a few different services before deciding on one that works best for you. Many of these services offer a free trial. Hopefully this article helps you decide on the best scheduling software for your business!
If you need more information like this, be sure to check out our resource hub!
Project Scheduling FAQs
What does project scheduling software do?
Project scheduling software helps you organize your projects and milestones. It allows you to quickly see what needs to be done, who is responsible for doing it, and when it needs to be completed. This is often the most effective way of staying on track throughout the life of a project with multiple deadlines.
Who should use project scheduling software?
This type of software is useful for a project manager or anyone who supervises a team of people. It allows you to see the progress made on multiple projects at once and delegate tasks within each project. This can be particularly helpful if your business specializes in ongoing projects, rather than one-time jobs.